Currently this level of safeguarding training is only available via Zoom.
Leadership Training is required for people who significantly influence the culture of their parish. Including, but not limited to:
- Those holding a Licence, Commission, Authorisation
- Those with PtO (Permission to Officiate) whose roles involves a high level of work, regularly.
- Honorary/Assistant Bishops and Chaplains
- Churchwardens at a Parishes currently without an Incumbent
- PSOs (Parish Safeguarding Officers)
This may also include, for example, lay ministry staff employed by a PCC or BMO, locally appointed leaders of new worshipping communities and focal ministers.
Training Aims & Objectives
- Connect the Church's mission and theological foundations with what good leadership behaviour looks like in a safeguarding context.
- Evaluate aspects of their own leadership practice and identify changes required which they then take forward with confidence.
- Analyse what healthy Christian communities look like, how healthy communities keep people safe, and their role as leaders in shaping Christian communities that are healthy and safe.
- Reflect on the impact that abuse and trauma have on individuals' lives, relationships, and interaction in a community setting.
- Integrate their own faith, beliefs, and values with those underpinning good safeguarding behaviours
(before Part One)
- If you have previously completed both the Diocesan online Child Safeguarding course and the Adult Safeguarding course you are not required to complete the Basic Awareness or Foundation courses, but it is strongly recommended.
- Your Incumbent/PCC/Parish Safeguarding Officer may be able to assist you if you’re not confident using a computer.
2. Please download the Leadership Handbook. Inside you will find a link to a questionnaire on Survey Monkey to be completed at least 2 working days prior to this event. This enables the trainers to read your answers in preparation for the training.
How to book:
- All our bookings are managd by EventBrite - click the button below to view all the current available dates.
- Please then click on the word 'Register' to book your place. (If you are booking a place for someone else, please ensure you enter their name and email address and not yours).
- Places are limited to 16, therefore please book at your earliest convenience to avoid disappointment.
- We recommend booking both tickets at the same time, but please ensure that the date for Part Two is at least 1 week after the date that you have booked for Part One.
- Once you have successfully booked your ticket eventbrite will automatically send a confirmation email to the email address that you provided – but you may need to check your Junk or Spam inbox for it. If you do not receive this email, it either means that you have entered your email address incorrectly or that you were not successful booking a ticket.
If your only suitable course date/time is already fully booked please still click on the link and register yourself for the waiting list. We often have a few cancellations a few days prior to the event.
If none of the advertised course dates/times are suitable please do not worry. We are constantly organising and adding more. Please keep checking the website for updates as we are not always able to send out reminders.
The sessions must be attended in numerical order, you need to attended a Part One session before you attend a Part Two session.
Virtual Training via Zoom
This training will be delivered via Zoom. If you are new to Zoom you can find information about Zoom here: https://zoom.us
Whilst we appreciate that Zoom represents a new way of working for many people, we would encourage you to consider each virtual session in the same way as a classroom-based training session.
- You will need to ensure that you have access to a reliable internet connection.
- You will need a device with a microphone, speaker and camera. The course is interactive – expect to participate in a variety of small group exercises.
- A private space where you will be uninterrupted for the duration of the session. We are sorry, but this course is not suitable for children (including babies) or pets.
- Each session is scheduled for 2 hours – this includes a break.
- Please identify yourself by using your first name and surname in your Zoom profile – this will display on screen.
- Please have pen and paper to hand.
- We recommended that you join the session 10 - 15 minutes before it is due to start so that any connection issues can be resolved. You will be able to wait in the virtual waiting room until the facilitator starts the session. The session will start promptly at the time specified on the invitation. If you’re not present at the start of the session, you won’t be able to join and will need to rebook.
- Please make sure you are comfortable and have everything you may need for the session e.g. tea/coffee/water. As with face-to-face training, if you leave the session for too long, you will miss relevant information and the opportunity to discuss safeguarding matters. As the time for this virtual training is short, it’s important the full session is attended.
- If you miss large sections of the course (longer than five minutes) you will need to liaise with the trainers to discuss whether you need to re-book. The trainers will be available via the Zoom chat if you experience any difficulties associated with the content of the course.
- The maximum number of participants for each group will be 16. In cases where there are fewer than 10 participants the Safeguarding team may cancel this event and give notice to all those who were due to attend. We aim to cancel as few events as possible.
If you currently have any physical or learning impairments that you fear might impact the quality of your training, please contact the Safeguarding Team and advise which course date and time you are booked onto so that we can make the presenters aware and possibly provide additional resources to support you.
Post-Training Coursework Requirement Deadline: You have up to 6 weeks from the date of the email to submit the post-training coursework via Survey Monkey.
Certificate: We aim to email the certificate to you within six weeks of you submitting your post-training coursework via Survey Monkey.
Important: Your training will not be recorded as ‘completed’ until we email your certificate to you.
- All those holding a Licence, Commission, Permission to Officiate or Authorisation are also required to complete Raising Awareness of Domestic Abuse.
- If you are also a line manager or involved in the recruitment, selection, management of Church Officers* (employees, elected members, and volunteers) you will also need to complete Safer Recruitment and People Management.